28 January 2010

Shooting a toddler



It was towards the end of a long day of shooting in Winnipeg, Manitoba.  The day had started with 5 subjects, all doing fitness style photos.  It had been a great day, exhausting but great.

Winnipeg is a strange city, it's kind of the armpit of Canada, yet for some reason I like it.  I think it has something to do with the reception enjoyed on my 2 visits there.   Both times I've met some really good people, and been looked after extremely well.  Proof if proof were needed that it's not about where you are, but the people you've got around you.

We were photographing on the forecourt of a car dealership / garage (who says shooting pretty girls is glamorous?) and we were all getting bitten within an inch of our life's by Manitoba's provincial bird, otherwise known as sodding great big mosquito.

I was somewhere on the outskirts of the city with Amanda and Jayme finishing off the last few outfits they wanted to do.  Amanda's husband had arrived with a quad bike Amanda wanted to use for some shots, and their cute 3 year old daughter.

At first she was a bit scared of me.  I could understand why, a strange man with a stranger accent, and a silly hat.  Even though I say I don't really like kids, for some reason they quite often seem to like me.  I don't get it, really I don't.

Anyway, it wasn't long before she was sitting on the tarmac next to me, in the shade, while I continued to photograph her Mummy.

With Mum's permission I snapped a few shots of her baby, and my favourite is up top.

Below is a picture of Mum with her quad bike, and below that my good friend Jayme G!

We all went for dinner at a great steak restaurant in Winnipeg in my honour after, a slightly early 40th birthday celebration.



1 comment:

Jayme Galloway said...

Michael!!
What a great blog!! I am so glad we made your stay in weee Winnipeg a bit better for you! Always a pleasure having you here, lets face it according to my portfolio, it is undeniable... you do GREAT work.
:) Thanks for Sharing this link.
Cheers from "Winterpeg"
Jayme