16 April 2010

I shoot mooses



Yes, I know the plural for moose is moose, but mooses sounds more amusing so I'm using it.

I was at a CityLocal networking event at Eastleigh Football Club earlier today.

Anyone who has networked with me knows I don't really do the whole public speaking thing - which is partly why I use the "I talk in pictures not in words" catch phrase.

It was a slightly odd 60 second round because everyone was getting a polite ripple of applause after they'd said their bit.  I've been to loads of networking events, and this was a first.  Even BNI wasn't that bizarre.

So this morning I had to stand up and give my "60 second" pitch directly after another photographer.  This guy was the polar opposite of me, loud, outgoing, well spoken.  He'd done his pitch standing on his chair.  Upon finishing he turned to me and in a friendly way said "follow that".

I stood up, held up my moose postcard and said, "Hello, I'm Michael Palmer, another photographer.  I don't stand on chairs, but I do shoot mooses." and sat down again.  At the risk of offending some of my fellow networkers, some of the 60 second pitches I hear are so deathly boring that they made you want to self harm yourself.  My current marketing thinking is to make an impression and to be remembered.  The moose theme does actually seem to be helping that somewhat.

It was the first public outing of my new moose postcards and I was rather pleased with the reaction.

Being different and original is where it's at, and it's starting to work.

No comments: