13 September 2010

Cat portrait photography

They say never work with children or animals.  I say ignore that advice because both can give you some amazing photos.  You may have to have more patience, and work a little harder, but the results are often worth it.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of photographing 5 cats.  Well, at least I should have photographed 5 cats, but 2 of them weren't playing our game, so we only ended up with photos of 3 of them.

Cats might be very cute, but they're a bit of a bugger to get them to do what you want them to, where you want them to do it, for a photoshoot.  The easy way would have been to chase them around the room working with natural light and a flash, but no, I decided to set up a mini studio, which meant they'd have to come and sit in the right place.

With a little bit of food, a fluffy bird on a stick, two helpers, and a bright green laser pointer pen we just about got them to do what we wanted.

It was my first time doing cat photography like this and I'm rather pleased with the results.

Update:  The cats are both Maine Coon cats.

No comments: