25 October 2010

Fighting in Romford



On Saturday I was thrown into the deep end when I was asked to photograph a day of fights, namely MMA, Thai Boxing & Boxing.  The event was Keddle's Gym vs All Comers at The City Pavilion in Romford, Essex.

I had been asked to concentrate on three fighters, Victor Espinosa, Mati Parks & Alexis Rufus.  Victor was up first, suffering from manflu needed to win quickly or risk coughing his lungs up.  I had just 18 seconds to get my shots in before the bout was over with Victor winning.  Mati was getting well beaten when the ref stopped the fight due to a cut above Mati's eye.  Alexis meanwhile won a world title!

My conclusion from the day that everyone involved is ever-so slightly bonkers, and that photographing fighting is rather difficult.  I'm fairly pleased with my attempts, but when I shoot my next fight, it'll be better.

5 comments:

Greg said...

Great pictures! I think the one of Saab (6th pic down) is my favourite. Also Victors face great in the 1st picture, did that punch land? I like to think it did.

Mike said...

Yeah greg, victor dropped him with that shot

Greg said...

NICE!

Ann said...

RF189 I liked the shot of boxer with seconds best.- atmosphere artistic composition etc.

Bob said...

Looks like you did very well for a first time, ( i would say great, but you know better than i ). Over all I love your work, when i see -Michael Palmer-on a picture i have usally already thought - "damn that is nice". My fav is the buffalo in snow.