21 December 2010

Photographing a fitness girl who likes to stand on her head...



The title says it all really.  However, a couple of weeks ago I made the trek up to North London again for what looks like being my final fitness shoot of 2010.  My subject for the day was fitness model and personal trainer Bex Redding.  She's a little bit bonkers and likes to have photos of her standing on her head.  My job is not to ask why, my job is just to take the photos.

We did the shoot at The Manor Health & Leisure Club in Muswell Hill.  Like with most gym shoots I didn't have a chance to check out the location beforehand, so I had lights ready in the car just incase.  I don't like using studio lights in a gym still open to the public, too many cables for people to trip over.   As luck would have it, we were able to do most of the shoot with the sunlight coming in through the windows, and for the rest I just had to push the ISO up a bit.

The job spec was a little different, Bex wanted shots of her body, and of her looking away from the camera.

Proof if proof were needed that networking is one of the best ways to get business.  While Bex was changing, I got chatting to a guy who was working out.  He told me that he's doing a 10k run along the Great Wall of China next year and was looking for a fitness trainer to help him get in shape.  I told him Bex was a trainer, phone numbers were exchanged, and I believe business has been done!

She took me out for a very late breakfast after the shoot, and bought me cake from Marks & Spencer.  This makes her one of my favourite subjects of the year.  Thanks Bex for a fun shoot!

No comments: