21 August 2011

Bournemouth Air Festival 2011

Leaving home a little too late, and awful traffic in the Bournemouth area caused us to miss the Red Arrows display shortly after which Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging was tragically killed.  My thoughts go out to his family and friends.  In my opinion it was right to continue with the air displays, but so very wrong not to announce the news of the accident and to keep the crowd updated over the tannoy system.

The highlight of my day at the Bournemouth Air Festival was having a chat with a woman who'd worked on the Lancaster Bomber during the Second World War.  It was the final plane of the day, and had been scheduled several hours earlier.  The look on her face, and excitement made the afternoon for me.

Whenever I photograph an event, whether I'm being paid to be there or not (in this case not), it's always my intention to cover as much as possible of what's going on, which for the Bournemouth Air Festival means photographing the ground events as well.  There was so much more happening that I missed.  Maybe next year I'll spend a couple of days there.

Here's a few of my favourite photos from the day...

No comments: