13 April 2012

RIP Robert Kennedy


Robert H. Kennedy (1938-2012)

Photo by Paul Buecta - www.paulbuceta.com

I only found out that Bob K was sick a few days ago having seen many people wishing him the best on his Facebook page.  Today, 13th April 2012 I found out about his passing.  It's been an emotional few days with Tosca (his wife) keeping everyone updated via her blog.  Although I've not spoken to Bob much over the last few years, his death by cancer has hit home big time for me because it comes nearly a year after I lost my Dad to it.  It's a terrible way to die.

Although I didn't know Bob all that well, I'll always be in debt to him as he published my first ever photo.  Still to this day the model in question,  Jaime Koeppe is my all time favourite.  It was featured as a double page spread in Musclemag way back in 2003.  It was such a privilege to see my work in print like this for the first time.  Thank you Bob.


I bumped into Bob a few times over the years, mostly at various fitness events / expos, even visiting him in his office a couple of times.  He was always very forward in telling me exactly what he wanted from the photos I submitted for publication in his magazines (Musclemag & American Curves) and over the years I had quite a bit of success and lots of photos published because I listened.

My favourite memory of Bob was in the middle of the Toronto Expo centre at the FAME World Championships, when in a packed Expo hall he got down on all-fours to demonstrate a couple of the poses he liked to see the girls do.  If only I'd had a camera.  Just thinking about it now puts a smile on my face.

I was originally introduced to Bob by photographer Skip Faulkner who sadly died last summer.

I've not spoken to Bob much over the last few years, but his death by cancer has hit home big time for me because it comes nearly a year after I lost my Dad to it.  It's a terrible way to die.

Life is short.  Get out there and make the most out of it.

Bob, you might have gone, but you'll never be forgotten. 

Peace & respect to Tosca and family.

No comments: