25 February 2016

Inglorious at The Brook in Southampton

This was my first "gig" of the year, and also my first visit to The Brook.

Aside from knowing they were a rock band and had just released their first (self titled) album just a couple of days earlier, I didn't know anything about the band.  I've decided that I like to go in "blind" to some concerts, that way I have no preconceptions about the artists or their music.

A fact that became painfully obvious when having arrived at the venue early (I managed to get rock star parking directly outside the door of the venue), about an hour before the doors opened.  I sheepishly asked a group of guys relaxing upstairs if "they were the band".  Minor embarrassment over, as they were "Inglorious".

We had a brief chat, and I explained I'd been invited by their promoter (Noble PR).

Despite The Brook being only ten minutes drive from home, and probably the best known music venue in Southampton, this was indeed my first visit there.  With friendly staff, what seemed like excellent lighting, and a good vantage point to photograph from on the balcony I knew I was going to like this place.

This was only the second time Inglorious had headlined a concert, and they took to stage around 21:30 after their two warm up acts; Outlaw Blues (kinda country/blues/acoustic) and The Room (prog rocky) had entertained the audience for an hour.

As always I'll let other people more qualified talk about the music.  They were loud, and full of energy from the moment they stepped on the stage.  The lead singer, Nathan James asides from being a superb vocalist moved around the stage like a seasoned pro, giving me lots to photograph.

I spent the first three songs standing with the audience downstairs, before retreating to the relative comfort (and really good view) upstairs directly infront of the lead singer.  It was from there that I got most of my favourite images of the evening.

While heavy rock isn't the kind of music I'd listen to at home, I know talent when I see/hear it, and I have a feeling the next time Inglorious play locally they'll be at a much larger venue.

Boys, continue to live your dream!

NB. All photos here taken with Olympus OM-D EM1 or EM5 with a variety of lens (Panasonic 14mm f2.5, Panasonic 25mm f1.4 and my favourite concert lens the Olympus 75mm f1.8).











No comments: